Management plan for M.margaritifera in Estonia
In 2011 – 2012 Lutreola foundation was commissioned by Estonian Environmental Board to compile the actions plan for River Pearl Mussel (Margaritifera margaritifera) for the period 2013-2017.
In the course of this we did the following:
- Inventory of all the potential risk for margaritifera in the only river system still inhabited with this species
- Inventory and assessment of the status of the remaining population in North of Estonia
- Inventory of South-Estonian sites with historical records of the species
- Engagement of all stake-holders and the competence for preparation of the management plan.
- Drafting of the plan and its revision by all stakeholders.
The plan was submitted to the Environmental Board in 15.12.2012. in 19th of December 2012 it reached to the Species Committee at the Ministry of the Environment and was accepted. It is now (as of 29.01.2013) waiting for formal approval by the Estonian Minister of the Environment.
During these actions we also produced a short introductory film about River Pearl Mussel. The film is in Estonian, showing one of the two remaining colonies in Estonia and its habitat: